Intermittent fasting is when you don’t eat food for usually between 12-18 hours per day. For instance, if you stop eating at 7p.m. your next meal would be between 7am and 1pm. Then, once a week it is also beneficial to do a full 24 hour fast so if you eat at 7p.m. on a Saturday you would go till 7p.m. on Sunday without food.
I personally love intermittent fasting right now.
My daily rituals shift at various times of my life as per what my needs are. My needs right now are in total alignment with intermittent fasting and for me it was just what i started to do on my own. I didn’t read about intermittent fasting and say I was going to try it. My rituals just shifted in that direction.
I love to finish eating food between 5p.m. and 6p.m which gives my body plenty of time to finish digesting before I go to bed. Then, I wake naturally around 8-9ish and I have morning ritual that I absolutely love. Here is a summary:
- light movement
- body oil massage
- dressed in movement clothing
- drink water / make coffee
- sip on coffee while move around cleaning up kitchen and house
- morning movement session
- water water
Notice during this time all I have had was water and coffee. Coffee is allowed during your fast- black coffee! I often go a couple more hours with just water dependent upon what my next actions are. Otherwise, I still keep it light with green juice (without any fruit juice) and my supplements. That takes me another hour or two and then I continue keeping it light with fruit. Lately, I’m loving papapy and mango but it could be melon or berries or nectarines or cherries or any fruit I desire.
Once I drink my green juice I have broken my fast. But by continuing to eat light I maintain high energy to do all I desire to do during my day. I drink more water between anything I drink or eat. Then around 3ish I eat my first heavier meal and again I’ll eating something heavier between 5-6ish.
This is what works for me right now. This is how I feel my best during my day.
But what works for me may not work for you. So you need to experiment on you and notice what works.
What I do know are there are many benefits to trying intermittent fasting:
- You give your digestive system a rest.
- It simplifies your day- one less “meal” to worry about.
- It helps you live longer.
- It may reduce the risk of cancer.
- It is easier and better for you than “dieting”.
- It boosts weight loss.
- It promotes the secretion of human growth hormone.
- It normalizes insulin sensitivity.
- It lowers bad cholesterol.
How can you get started?
- Choose what time your last meal of the day will be.
- Choose 12-18 hours later what time your first meal of the next day will be.
- Plan out what that first meal will be and be prepared.
- Plan out what else you will eat during the time you can have food and be prepared.
- Drink water between your meals- 30 mins to 1 hour between meals.
Choose nutrient-dense foods!
It is very important that you choose your food you do eat very wisely! If you are eating less often you may be eating less food. And if you are eating less food you need to make sure the food you are eating is as nutrient-dense as possible. Choose:
- colorful fruits
- a variety of vegetables: colorful, greens, sulphur, sea and fermented
- healthy fats
- healthy clean proteins
Types of easy meals and snack may be:
- fresh fruits and veggies
- green juices
- one-pan meals
Get creative and have fun!
It’s important to change up what you eat and how you eat. I highly recommend experimenting with intermittent fasting.
If you enjoy it I also recommend you try a one day 24 hour fast also.
I love to do mine Saturday to Sunday. Saturday evening I will stop eating 4-5p.m. ish and then not eat again till the same time on Sunday. Honestly, it’s super easy. I tend to sleep later on Sundays and then have a slow morning into the afternoon and the day flies by.